Friday 25 September 2015

Sequel to The Englishman Name Reveal!


Photo: Dailymail.co.uk
Most of you know by now that I am busily writing the long-awaited sequel to The Englishman. (At last you may say!). The first draft of the manuscript is now done, and I am working on my first edit. It's going well, although this stage of writing a novel is my least favourite one, because it's where you have to be strict with yourself. It's mostly fact-checking and making sure all dates, time-lines and characterisations make sense. And of course the plot itself has to be exciting, but also believable.

Yesterday I had a bit of low moment, realising I had to cut a whole section of the book, but today here in London the sun is shining and I can see that the novel will be a much better one without those few chapters. Luckily the word count of the first draft is generous, so I don't have add too much to the story. It's all about, 'Killing your darlings,' as William Faulkner famously said.

But, for those of you who are not fellow authors, all the above must be boring, boring, so let's get down to the reason for this blog post, and the title of my next novel. (Drumroll please...)

The sequel to The Englishman will be called:

The Navy Wife


I hope you like this title - it's simple, but I think it certainly says what it is on the tin...

I'm also delighted to announce that I'll be working with a wonderful, talented, Finnish designer for the cover of The Navy Wife. I cannot wait to see how she interprets the story.

In the next two weeks I'm running a competition related to the cover. Sign up to get my updates on the right, so that you don't miss it!  


If you'd like to see the pictures I've been using as a mood board for the novel, you can pop over to my Pinterest page here. And of course if you haven't read The Englishman, a Nordic tale of long-distance love, now is the perfect time to get it here!

2 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Congratulations Helena - it's a succinct title and as you say it says what I presume is in the book. Wonderful to have a talented Finnish designer help you out with the cover ... have fun - cheers Hilary

Unknown said...

Thank you Hilary - some days (like today) I feel as if theres smoke coming out of my laptop, I'm tapping at it so furiously. Editing is not as much fun as the writing...please keep you fingers crossed I meet my deadline! Hx